Warning: Unsafe Nasal Rinsing Can Lead to Deadly Brain Amoeba Infection, CDC Reports


Key Takeaways:

A deadly brain infection caused by an amoeba can result from unsafe nasal rinsing, according to a warning from the CDC. The amoeba, Naegleria fowleri, is found in warm freshwater and soil. Using tap water for nasal irrigation can lead to severe illness and even death.

The CDC reported cases where individuals using neti pots or other nasal irrigation devices had contracted the amoeba infection. The only safe water to use for nasal rinsing is distilled, sterile, or properly filtered water.

Naegleria fowleri enters the body through the nose and travels to the brain, causing primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM). Symptoms include severe headache, fever, nausea, and vomiting. PAM progresses rapidly and is almost always fatal.

Ensure your safety by following guidelines for nasal rinsing, including using only safe water sources and properly cleaning devices. Seeking medical attention immediately for any concerning symptoms is crucial to prevent severe outcomes.

Remain cautious and informed about the risks associated with nasal irrigation to protect yourself from this rare but deadly infection.

Read the full story by: Live Science

Live Science